These easy to sew bows are cute to add to clothing, hair accessories, and more. Get our free template to make your own fabric bow.
These instructions show how to make a bow from fabric. But you can easily make a DIY felt bow, too, using the same template and directions.
Whatever material you choose, these DIY bows are great for hair accessories. Attach one to a clip or sew onto a hair scrunchie.
Here’s some more ways to use DIY bows:
- Make into a hair clip
- Attach to a hair tie
- Add to a headband
- Add to a shirt or sweater
- Attach to tops of shoes
- Put on a wreath
- Sew onto a pillow
- Add to a gift basket or Easter basket
- Make into a magnet
Be sure to download our free bow template!
*The instructions below can be printed out. However, they will not include photos (to save your printer from using too much ink!). Be sure to Pin this DIY project or bookmark the link if you want to refer to the photos later.
- Free Bow Template
- Fabric or felt
- Pencil or fabric marker
- Needle or sewing machine
- Trace the free template pattern on your fabric and cut out.
- Fold the big square into half (fold along the longer side) and fold the small square into half (fold along the shorter side). Keep the right side inwards, showing the wrong side of the fabric outside.
- Sew closed two open ends of the folded big square. Sew across from the folded edge, plus one of the small ends. Do not sew the third open edge yet.
- Sew along the longer open side of the small square (across from the folded edge). Keep the 2 smaller ends open.
- Turn both pieces inside out to reveal the right sides of the fabric.
- On the open side of the big square, fold the fabric edges under about 1 cm. Then stitch together to secure the seam.
- Fold the big fabric square into accordion folds in the middle. Tie a piece of thread tightly around the middle to secure it in place.
- Place the small fabric piece in the middle of the bow, covering the stitched part. Wrap around and cut off any excess fabric that won't be needed to stitch together seams. Using a needle and thread, hand stitch the overlapping seams together in the back and secure with a couple knots.
Looking for the photo tutorial? Find the step by step photos at: https://easythingstosew.com/how-to-sew-a-bow/
Pin this project to a sewing or DIY board to save for later, and to share with friends!